Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sleeve Gastrectomy - Nordic Walking

Since I want to keep walking as much as possible, my husband and I signed up for a Nordic Walking class to add some interest.  It seems like it's one of the hottest fitness trend in Europe.  However, it looks like we're the first ones in our block to do it. 
I would suggest taking a class for this; there is more to it than you would think.  Good technique is necessary, you wouldn't want to do a faux pas, the exercise police might complain.
Seriously, it's a great exercise, because you use your upper body to propel you instead of swaying your arms when you walk.  I'm amazed how easily I can climb up and down hills, especially in Colorado, when no matter which direction you go, it's uphill.  I also noticed that it reduces stress on my knees, hips and lower back!  It feels like the poles and upper body absorb some impact of each step.  So far, it's fun.

Being from Colorado, I have a plethora of poles in the house.  I have many poles for skiing, snowshoeing, and trekking (backpacking).   You would think one of those would work for Nordic Walking.   Nope, had to buy another set of "special" Nordic Walking poles.  Glad I did: you got to get the "right tool for the right job".  Besides, the poles were from a Colorado company.  Buy local, I say.  The company is www.boomyah.com.  Check their web site for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment