Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sleeve Gastrectomy - Diet and Nutrition

During the first 10 days after surgery I was on a "full liquid bariatric" diet.  As the name implies, it is liquid protein sources, such as whey protein powder with skim or soy milk; the good old standby, "No Added Sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast" and various carb control drinks.  Of course, I had to drink lots of water and chewable multivitamins.  All my prescription medication had to be crushed. 

Next comes the "pureed" diet.  Added to the "liquid" diet, I can have scrambled eggs - finely mashed, low-fat small curd cottage cheese, yogurt, and stage II baby food meat (which I declined).  I was able to go to our favorite Mexican restaurant with friends, and have their wonderful refried beans.  It took me about a half hour to eat 1/2 cup of refried beans.  I noticed our bill was considerable less than normal, since I still can't have alcohol drinks ( alcohol is dehydrating and adds calories but no nutrients) and soda (carbonation fills the stomach too much).  Beans and water, life is good!  I did sneak a few tablespoons of my husband's flan.  Yummy!

I am now on the "Soft" diet, which are foods that can easily be cut with the edge of a fork and should contain some protein, such as egg, tuna or chicken salad made with fat-free mayonnaise.  I can now take my smaller pills without crushing them.  I have to add to my multi-vitamin with Iron pills, Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-12 (sublingual).  I will have to take these last three pills, for the rest of my life.  

Six weeks after my surgery - several days from now, I will be on a "regular" diet for the rest of my life!  I will be able to eat want ever I want, BUT here's the fine print: I should have 60-80 grams of protein each day; portions should be 1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal, gradually increasing; eat three meals each day; no skipping meals; 64 oz. of fluid; eat slowly, introduce new foods slowly, and always,
CHEW!  CHEW! CHEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment