Monday, September 5, 2011

Why I chose Sleeve Gastrectomy over Lap-Band

It all started while watching with the Dr. Oz show several months ago.  Recently, the government and insurance companies have approved the bariatric procedures for people who have a BMI (Body Mass Index) under 40 with other health issues, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, etc. 
On the Dr. Oz show, he explained the bariatric surgery and interviewed people who have gone through the procedure.  It sounded like something I might want to do.  

Lap-Band is a silicon adjustable device that wraps around the upper portion of the stomach.  The band connects a reservoir to a port that lies on the abdominal wall muscles.  The port and reservoir allow for adjustments by filling the port with an injection of saline through the port.
The bottom line is the Lap-Band creates a small stomach pouch which limits food intake.  
Some of the advantages of the Lap-Band that I like are: less risky than other bariatric procedures, (no cutting or stapling of the stomach or intestines); it decreases hunger and makes you feel full longer and it can be removed.  It’s also adjustable via saline injections. 
Disadvantages that I was concerned with:  It’s a foreign object in your body, and you have to keep going to the doctor for saline injection adjustments.

When I first went to my bariatric center, I wanted to have the Lap-Band.  I never seriously considered the sleeve gastrectomy because it was still considered “experimental”.  The center explained the three procedures that I can have: Lap-Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric By-pass.   I knew I didn’t want the Gastric By-pass.  Then I realized that the Sleeve Gastrectomy has been approved by my insurance company. 

Bottom line: I chose the Sleeve Gastrectomy because it addressed the two main reasons I believe cause my weight problem:  One, I overeat and I can consume vast quantities of food in a very short time.  The smaller stomach will solve that problem. Two:  I am always hungry.  I’m hoping that with the removal of the Grehlin hormone – my appetite control, will keep me from devouring food like a vacuum cleaner.  I hope it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment