Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day Two – Surgery –Sleeve Gastrectomy

Waking up early, it was extremely quiet. I had no pain;I was not nauseous.  I could feel the gentle massage on my legs by the massage boots.  Life is good!  Then came the parade of aides, nurses and doctors.  This was a very busy day.

Breakfast came with a tray of broth, tea and Jell-O.  I’m on a liquid diet for the next 10 days.  Jell-O is now my BFF, “best, favorite food”.   All my pills also have to be crushed.  Crushed pills are not very pleasant, either: they are bitter or chalky. 

The big event of the day was going to radiology for the “Drinking of the Barium”.  Since my stomach was stapled, the test would show any leaks.
Thankfully I passed the test.  I’m leak free!

Lunch came with a tray of broth, tea and Jell-O.

Now for a stroll around floor, this was not an easy chore since I’m hooked up to oxygen, IVs for fluid, a catheter, the Jackson Pratt drain, and monitoring devices.  Thank goodness for my entourage, consisting of my husband, and several aides.  Wearing a super large hospital gown, I felt like a bride walking down the aisle with maids in tow.  But instead of flowers, I had an oxygen tank.   I now know why the hospital is so quiet, the hallway floors are carpeted!

Back in the room, more tests, but no more pain button nor a catheter.   Just more crushed pills.  At every shift change, the new nurse and aides wrote their names on a white board; a nice touch to know who’s who.

Dinner came with a tray of broth, tea and Jell-O.

It was time for another paseo around the hallways.  A huge Colorado electrical storm was brewing.  Since, my room was on the 9th floor. I had an outstanding view of the storm and its lightning.
At night, we opened the shades for a panoramic view to watch for several hours one of the most fantastic electrical storms, with continuous bolts of lightning.  It was nice to be provided with such exciting entertainment.

Going home tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment